Salt is hot in the media right now!
All because of Draft Guidance published in the CFR for proposed sodium reductions in the “Processed Food” category. Some of the proposed reductions include the following (values are milligrams per serving):
- Dry Soup Mix from current average 1892 to 1290
- Frankfurters, Hot Dogs from current average 1012 to 730
- Bone-in Batter and Breaded Poultry from current average 599 to 380
- Flavored Potato Chips from current average 774 to 380
- White and Wheat Bread from current average 523 and 471 down to 300 for bothBut never fear. SPI Group is proud to present our sodium reduction toolbox – highlighted here are salt replacers:
- Saltwell Sea Salt: Water from the ancient Atamcama Sea naturally high in potassium for a 30% sodium reduction and the clean label of “Sea Salt.” Saltwell allows a 1:1 replacement of salt in label, flavor, and functionality.
- NuTek Salt: Patented process to form single crystals of potassium chloride with the bitterness masked and functionality of salt. Clean and simple label: “Potassium Chloride, Maltodextrin” Get more salty taste without the sodium content.
- Provesta 029: “Autolyzed Yeast, Potassium Chloride” for partial replacement of salt, provides salty flavor while enhancing your existing salt and flavor system